“As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD”Joshua 24:15
For the assistance of our church, here are some resources on Family Worship.
Bible Passages on Family Worship
- Genesis 18:19
- Deuteronomy 4:9-15
- Deuteronomy 6:4-9
- Deuteronomy 11:18-21
- Deuteronomy 32:45-47
- Joshua 24:14-15
- Psalm 78:1-8
- Psalm 118:15-16
- Ephesians 6:4
- 2 Timothy 1:5
- 2 Timothy 3:14-15
- Read God’s word together. It’s most helpful to read through a book of the Bible, that way you don’t jump into a new context every time. I suggest reading at least 1 paragraph, but no more than 1 chapter. Use the application questions below to stimulate discussion.
- Pick a good hymn you all know to sing together. Hymns were meant to be singable with little or no accompaniment so it will be easier than you think! Singing to one another is also an important way by which we let the word of Christ dwell in us richly (Col. 3:16).
- Balance “inside” and “outside prayers.” “Inside” prayers are prayers for one another, “outside” prayers are prayers for those outside the immediate family. Consider also incorporating written prayers.
Overall, keep it simple and doable. Don’t set the standards so high that you can never reach them. A simple time of 10-15 minutes where you read a passage of Scripture, sing a hymn or two, and then pray is sufficient. Here’s a great example of a family with 5 little kids doing family worship together – notice how it includes interruptions and everything you’d expect from little children!
- Westminster Directory for Family Worship
- The Family Worship Book by Terry Johnson (book)
- Understanding Family Worship by Terry Johnson (book)
- Family Worship by Don Whitney (book)
- Family Worship by Joel Beeke (booklet)
- Family Worship by J. Merle D’Aubigne (booklet)
- Family Worship (booklet)
- Simplify Family Worship by Don Whitney (article)
- Family Worship for Dummies by Tom Ascol (article)
- Why We Fail and Family Devotions by Tim Challies (article)
- Family Worship by A. W. Pink (article)
- Family Worship with Inattentive Children by Ligon Duncan (article)
- Family Worship with Don Whitney (interview)
Family Worship Bible Guide by Joel Beeke et al.
This is an extremely helpful book that contains ~2 paragraphs on each chapter of the Bible, explaining the main point and connecting it to the gospel.
Expository Thoughts on the Gospels by J. C. Ryle
This book is an excellent collection of short (2-4 pages) comments on the gospels, written for the express purpose of being read aloud at family worship.
The Child’s Story Bible by Catherine Vos
In general, picture Bible’s and comic book Bibles are of tenuous use at best, and often do more harm then good in the long run by lowering our view of God and His word. This, however, is an exception. Written by the wife of the famous Princeton biblical theologian Geerhardus Vos, this book is a fantastic summary of the Bible story and is very useful to read alongside of Scripture.
- What do we learn about God?
- What do we learn about Jesus?
- What do we learn about man?
- Is there a truth to embrace?
- Is there a promise to believe?
- Is there a command to obey?
- Is there a sin to forsake?
- Is there an example to follow or avoid?
- Is there a warning to heed? Is there a question to ponder?
- Hymns Mobile App
- App for your phone that has lyrics and music for most hymns. You can adjust the speed and pitch of the music to suit your family’s singing.
- Andrew Remillard
- A YouTube channel with simple hymn accompaniment for many great hymns.
- List of Hymns for Family Worship
- Timeless Hymns for Family Worship by Joni Erikson Tadda and Bobbie Wolgemuth
- Trinity Hymnal
- A searchable hymnal with the lyrics and accompaniment for every hymn.
- An amazing resource of hymn studies to dive deeper into rich Christian hymns.